The NCVO Funding Commission
We set up the Funding Commission in February 2009 to respond to the sector's concerns and uncertainty about funding over the next ten years, and to set a new funding agenda.
The Commission was chaired by Fiona Ellis, former Director of the Northern Rock Foundation.
Funding the Future
The Commission's final report was published in December 2010 and contains 12 recommendations for the sector, funders and government.
Taking a ten year perspective, the Commission saw potential for growth in individual giving, social investment, commercial sector donations and trading.
It also called on the sector to step up to the mark and increase its impact, develop its financial capability and collaborate more effectively.
- a Better Asking Campaign, to improve the quality and effectiveness of fundraising, particularly by smaller and local organisations, with the aim of increasing giving by almost £9 billion in the next ten years
- the development of new financial products, such as Social Gilts or Social Investment Bonds, to increase private investment in civil society by £10 billion over the next ten years
- initiatives to enable voluntary organisations to become more entrepreneurial, increasing trading income by £1.7 billion over the next ten years
- Capitalisation and social investment (PDF 95KB)
- Trading (PDF 87KB)
- Effectiveness (PDF 115KB)
- Public sector funding (PDF 77KB)
- National Lottery (PDF 24KB)
- Trusts and Foundations (PDF 89KB)
- Individual giving (PDF 129KB)
- Commercial sector support (PDF 63KB)
- David Carrington, Funding our Future: challenges and opportunities in the next decade, January 2009 (PDF 507KB)
Capitalisation and social investment
- Joe Ludlow, Capitalising the Voluntary and Community Sector: a review, March 2010 (PDF 548KB)
- Joe Ludlow, Capital, Capacity Building and Impact, March 2010 (PDF 69KB)
- Nick Wilkie and others, Unclaimed assets: funding for young people and social investment, London Youth, April 2010 (PDF 133KB)
- Professor Peter Wells and Dr Chris Dayson, Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research, Sheffield Hallam University, Measuring the Impact of Third Sector Infrastructure Organisations, June 2010 (PDF 134KB)
- Esther Ridsdale, NCVO Collaboration Team, Collaboration and Merger Case Studies, June 2010 (PDF 64KB)
- Stephen Quashie, NCVO Valuing Infrastructure Project, Boosting Local Effectiveness: the future funding of infrastructure support, June 2010 (PDF 655KB)
- Bill Freeman, Director of Consultancy Services, NAVCA, Future Local Infrastructure Scenarios, August 2010 (PDF 498KB)
- Sarah Flood, The Government Funding Relationship: Its impact on the sector and future challenges and opportunities, March 2010 (PDF 127KB)
- Joe Saxton and Michele Maddon, nfpSynergy, How Can the New Government Increase the Size of the Fundraising Cake?, May 2010 (PDF 152KB)
- Guy Yeomans, ICT Trends and Fundraising: Five-Year Perspective, May 2010 (PDF 68KB)
- Richard Gutch, Prospectus, Fundraising Director Interviews, May 2010 (PDF 32KB)
- Katherine William-Powlett, NCVO Sustainable Funding project, Innovation in Fundraising, June 2010 (PDF 149KB)
- Dr Beth Breeze, Donor Centred Philanthropy: Putting Givers at the Heart of the Charity Universe, July 2010 (PDF 36KB)
- Guy Yeomans, Data Growth, August 2010 (PDF 119KB)
Policy and research
- Charity law and regulation
- European and international
- Giving and philanthropy
- Independence and values
- Other projects
- Public services
- What is the voluntary sector?
- Working with government
- Voluntary sector workforce
- Tell NCVO
- Getting your message across to Government
- Meet the team