NCVO and the environment
At NCVO we are committed to sustainable development and protecting the environment.
We all know that the environment is one of the most pressing and challenging issues of our generation. We are working hard to make sure that our environmental impact is the absolute minimum.
Here at NCVO we:
- encourage our staff to cycle to work
- use a green cleaning firm
- use Fairtrade suppliers
- buy green electricity
- minimise energy use with a system to automatically power down computers every night
Read also why choose us to hire a venue.
- toner cartridges
- cooking oil
- plastic bottles.
We also compost all leftover food.
To take a proactive stance and address our contribution to climate change, our organisation has committed to the Carbon Smart Programme. Being Carbon Smart means taking an intelligent and flexible approach to reducing our carbon footprint.
Our Carbon Smart Certification demonstrates the practical actions we have taken to actively reduce our environmental impact. It clearly demonstrates our commitment to customers, staff and the sector. Just like recycling, the Carbon Smart Certification makes improving our environmental performance part of the everyday running of our business.
Read the Carbon Smart report for NCVO:
Carbon footprint and findings for the Carbon Smart® Silver Certification (PDF 758 KB - February 2013)
The new fourth floor office build design is in harmony with the surrounding area and uses modern build processes that are both environmentally friendly and resource efficient.
Build components include:
- Use of Photo Voltaic Panels, using renewable solar energy source to minimise the reliance on outside sourced power and generating exportable power
- Air source heat pump system to lower the building's carbon emissions by 35%
- Environmental Action Plan (Word 104KB
- Travel Plan (Word 2MB) and 2010 Review (Word 3MB)
- Environmental Policy (Word 40KB)
- Environmental Audit Report 2010 (Word 131KB).
Watch the video (on Capacity Global's website) for a tour of NCVO's building showing the steps we have taken to reduce our environmental impact.
NCVO has achieved the silver level of the Mayor of London's Green Procurement Code.
The Mayor of London's Green Procurement Code is a free support service for London based organisations committed to reducing their environmental impact through responsible purchasing. The programme is supported by £3 million from the London Development Agency and is delivered by London Remade.
Read the Annual Progress Review report
NCVO runs a climate change programme to help voluntary and community organisations play their full part in creating a sustainable future.
- Find out about NCVO's climate change work
- Read our online guide to explore how climate change is likely to affect your organisation.