People, HR and employment
This section contains practical information and resources to support voluntary and community organisations to become better employers.
Our HR and employment practice resources include:
- HRBank: A collection of free sample policies and job descriptions, donated by voluntary and community organisations. These are available for you to download and tailor to your own needs.
- HR 'How to' Guides on a variety of topics, including conducting a 360 degree appraisal and avoiding redundancies in a recession.
- Case studies from a wide range of voluntary and community organisations, discussing a variety of employment practice issues so you can learn from the experiences of others.
- Training Needs Analysis: a complete step by step guide to understanding the training needs of your organisation.
- Good Guide to Employment templates and factsheets to help you with the development of policies, job descriptions and good diversity practice. Based on our popular publication the Good Guide to Employment.
- Workforce Wheel: This is an outcomes tool which aims to help organisations understand where they want to get to as they grow into their into their full potential.
- Voluntary sector workforce: facts and figures.
Sign up to our HR newsletter
NCVO sends a range of tailored email newsletters including one dedicated to keeping you up to date on the latest developments around HR, employment practice and working in the voluntary sector.
New to the voluntary sector?
Are you starting out in the voluntary sector or know someone who is interested in transferring their skills to the voluntary sector from elsewhere?
Our research on the voluntary sector workforce
At NCVO one of our key research areas is measuring the size and scope of the voluntary sector's paid workforce, and how skills levels vary.
NCVO has teamed up with LawWorks to provide our members with an exclusive package of legal services and information. Including
- Legal quick-query surgery - Submit a general legal question about employment, data protection, intellectual property or company law and get an email response from a volunteer lawyer.
- Legal assistance for small organisations with an annual turnover of under £500,000 - Get advice from a network of volunteer lawyers on a wide range of legal issues.
- Apply for help from a volunteer lawyer - Request assistance from a lawyer on a short, fixed project or a specific piece of legal advice.
- Free NCVO Members Quick Guide to Getting Legal Support.
Access legal package for NCVO members (you'll need to be logged in)
By John Lees, one of the UK’s best-known career strategists. Free "Career Reboot" StudyZone course on KnowHow NonProfit
Managing staff through difficult times - course
Learn how to deliver difficult messages, deal with redundancies and develop your team on a shoestring budget with this course:
"Managing through difficult times" StudyZone course - KnowHow NonProfit.
Advice and support
- Funding and finance
- Coping with cuts
- Addressing needs
- Managing change
- Planning for the future
- Involving people
- Public Service Delivery
- Governance and leadership
- Compact Advocacy programme
- Campaigning and influencing policy
- Collaborative working
- ICT (information and communication technology)
- Climate change
- People, HR and employment
Free HR advice service for NCVO members
All NCVO member organisations can access 30 minutes of free HR advice per month over the telephone through PEACe HR advice service from LVSC, in association with Russell Cooke Solicitors.
Access PEACe HR member's benefit (You'll need to be logged into the website as NCVO member)