Maintaining diverse and durable funding streams is key to achieving sustainability.
Before you start, you may want to read our introduction to fundraising, introducing the key themes that you need to be aware of when building a fundraising strategy.
The income sources
Ready to learn more? We think of income sources on a spectrum – from asking, on the left, to earning, on the right and we have produced a handy tool the Income Spectrum to help you analyse your organisation’s income, think about the different demands of each income source and assess whether a more diverse approach could benefit your organisation.
- Download the Income Spectrum Tool (PDF 1202KB)
For more information work your way through our resources on each income source.
Subsidies for specified activities
Contracts, often to deliver public services
Trading goods or services
You might also be interested in learning about:
- Social investment or loan finance - money to help your organisation to grow, develop or manage cash flow effectively.
- Outcome funding - an introduction to what outcome funding is and its growing significance to both funders and funded.
- Innovative approaches to funding - explore funding approaches such as venture philanthropy and the 'engaged approach'.
- European funding - starting out with Europen Union funding? Explore our overview and top tips.
Advice and support
- Funding and finance
- Coping with cuts
- Addressing needs
- Managing change
- Planning for the future
- Involving people
- Public Service Delivery
- Governance and leadership
- Compact Advocacy programme
- Campaigning and influencing policy
- Collaborative working
- ICT (information and communication technology)
- Climate change
- People, HR and employment